Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Middle School Shop Ideas Options
clbrown
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:12:53 PM
Groups: Member

I know there are probably forums for this, and I will look, but I have a specific question. I started the woodworking program back up in my school about five years ago, and it's been changing ever since. I have put together a workbook (thanks to this website!) for my students and used it this semester. However, our admin who does the scheduling makes it a nightmare to try and get a stable program up and running. I am back on our "sixth grade unified arts rotation," which is a great thing, but now I need to come up with a new curriculum for our sixth graders. I have some ideas, but I need some more! We use scroll saws primarily, although I do have a bench-top planer, drill presses, a few bandsaws, and many disc sanders, as well as a spindle sander.

I have $500 for two semesters of classes, and can collect a small fee - but it makes it tough to buy lumber. Ideas????

lbrown@stanwood.wednet.edu

Thanks-

Lara Brown
MrsN
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:35:45 PM

talk to every lumberyard, construction company, woodworking types you can think of and see if they will donate anything. even a couple of 2x4's can keep 6th graders busy for a long time.

how long do you have kids? and how many?

do you do co2 cars?
clbrown
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:13:26 PM

I actually got an awesome donation from Rockler Lumber in Seattle for cutting boards for next year. I have four classes of 7th/8th graders, who may or may not have taken the class this year (for the 8th graders next year), and one of sixth-graders. They vary between 23 and 31 for numbers. I got a cabinet shop to donate a bunch of plywood, which helped immensely. Just mainly need projects for the sixth-graders. I do NOT have a woodworking background - I taught history and English for 12 years before this lol. Thanks :)

ps yes, I do CO2 cars second semester - LOVE them!! :)
tdickenson
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:43:30 PM

We are in a similar situation in our school. I've put up ads on our local Craigslist and received a tremendous amount of materials and tools. Additionally, the Home Depot stores have an outreach coordinator in most the stores. They gave us several gift cards and allow us to take the lumber cut-off's.

If I've learned anything is you don't get anything if you don't ask!
Lullom
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:54:47 PM

I do a name plate project. We use luaun playwood. It is about $13 a sheet and I can get about 40 projects out of a sheet. We work using scroll saws and coping saws. I like the coping saws because everyone is working while they wait to use a scroll saw. I have them do their outside cuts with the coping saws and the more difficult inside cuts with the scroll saw. I print their names using publisher and then we use glue sticks to adhear the pattern to the wood... it peels off "mostly", although sometimes a little extra sanding is needed. When you are using Publisher, you can play with the font to make the letters very tight. I find one or two fonts that work well and I just stick with those.

Before we begin this project, I give them practice. I have asked a martial arts studio to save the boards that they break during belt testing. The wood is soft and is very easy to cut with the coping saw. They love the practice and it is free!

I only buy "oops" paint. I get it at Home Depot for $.50 - $5.00 at the most. One trick that was shared with me this year that worked great was to put the paint into Tropicana Orange Juice bottles. You can pour small amounts into egg cartons and eliminate waste. As the paint runs low., you can add new paint and blend new colors since you are not trying to match anything.

Hope that helps!
scardog
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:32:35 PM

I also do a "Sign" project out of 3" x 11 1/2" pine or scrap plywood. However, we use freehand routing for the name and woodburning for the picture. I start off having the student design their sign on a computer using WORD. They type the name,select the font and size it to fit the sanded board. Then they cut and paste a drawing or picture from the internet. After some final adjustments, they print the doc.We cut out the name and pictures. Use white glue to adhere the name in place.This will be routed out with the router. The picture is traced onto the board with carbon of graphite paper. The picture outline is "burned", shaded and detailed, as you would a drawing.All is left is staining, and varnishing.
tbyrom
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 2:30:56 PM

I have started a YouTube channel to help my students and other teachers to see how to do projects. If you go to YouTube and do a search for TheMrByrom you will find 50 videos of different things that I do at my school.