Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

carbide hollowing tools Does this change everything? Options
Shinnlinger
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:49:35 AM
Groups: Member

Hi,

picked up 3 of these the other day in three different bends and man are they great. Mine happen to be "easy wood"

The problem I see is that every kid is going to want to use them as scrapers as they never need sharpening and cut realy well.

Kind of a dream tool but at $125 a pop and doubful intergrity when one gets dropped on the floor the verdict is out. The good news is the replacment carbides are in the $5 range.

Dave
jtdums
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:19:31 AM

Late getting back to this one Dave...
I haven't made the switch over to these carbide tools yet for my classes. Cost has been a huge factor.

I would like to have them available, because I feel many of these new turners would benefit in the long run if they choose to pursue woodturning outside of class. (as several have) They could avoid the start up cost of a grinder set up at home at least for the time being.

However, I also wonder if the use of just scrapers is too limiting. One of my goals in class is to expose them to as many tools and cutting techniques as possible. I like to broaden their experience and worry that if they fall in love with these carbide scrapers (as many turners seem to) then they will turn to them for every operation when it might be a useable tool, but not the best choice.

It does seem to be the direction that turning is heading...
-Jim
Shinnlinger
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:15:20 AM

They are still working out well but one evidently took a dive as the carbide is shatered. Good thing I ordered some replacements when I got the tools!

Dave