Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Board Games Options
mstang64bb
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 12:03:21 PM
Groups: Member

Hello all, It's been some time since I've posted to this site. I hope you all are doing well!
I have the luxury of having a CNC, 3D printers, vinyl graphics and a laser engraver. As a lesson/project for my middle school students I want to have them design/modify their own board games. They can use vinyl graphic material, 3D print playing pieces, laser etch wood parts,etc.
Has anyone done something like this? Can you share your experiences? I would also like input as to how you developed a rubric for this type of project.

A project isn't finished, until a FINISH is on it....Bob~
MrsN
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 9:46:19 AM
Groups: Member

I made games with a group of kids. Not nearly as fancy as your ideas, but still fun. We built wooden boxes about 12" square and 3" tall. Kids designed game boards and we printed them out and glued them in to the box.

one of the hardest parts of the project was getting kids to be able to design a playable game. I was doing this with younger kids and many tried to create crazy rules or games that would be nearly impossible to win. I ended up steering most of the games to have a board with spaces, roll the dice to move, a some spots to land that make you draw a card that makes you move forward or back a few spots. The kids would make it all themed to something they liked. (the ninja kicked you back 2 spots, the monster spit you out 2 spots forward)
Writing out the rules can be a cool language arts cross over. The technical writing is something that many students don't get a lot of practice with.

I would make sure that kids play a game or two of their game to work out all of the rules before it becomes permanent.