Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

turkey call Options
Ed D
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 10:10:51 AM
Groups: Member

If any of you are looking for a small time filler end of the year project try a box turkey caller.Lots of fun to make and you don't have to be a hunter to enjoy using one.
creighta
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 11:40:06 AM

Season comes in next week here. I have a sophomore working on a call right now.

Any suggestion on the particulars of its construction? I have only had one other student do this and it was several years ago.

I have used the box calls, but have never personally built one.

Ed D
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 2:33:49 PM

Creighta
I was told harder wood for the paddle than the box. I don't really know for sure. We made the boxes out of mohagony and inlayed maple strips. Base and paddle was made of maple with mohagony inlay strips on the paddle. We copied a store bought call for dimentions. The box was solid but I've seen plans that utilize componits for the box. We utilized a mortising machine to hollow out the box. the box was angeled not square. I made a few of them myself and gave a couple to some friends that know calls and all gave us good reviews. I'll bet if we completed 100 we could sell all before we finished.Make a few and when you get one to work to your satisfaction hold on to it as a model. Enjoy
Bill Hunt
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:22:14 PM

Hi folks, My name is Bill Hunt, I live in Wayne County MS. and I turn turkey calls on a lathe. these are known as pot calls
I plan on building the box calls you'all are talking about but since it's turkey season here in east MS and west AL. I am commited to completing several calls before concentrating on a different style

Hopefully I'll be able to devote some time to the box calls after the season is over.

I'm certainly not trying to hijack your thread but if I can answer any of your questions I'll sure try.

Bill Hunt
creighta
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 3:22:27 PM

The call turned out great!!! Another student made one yesterday and today.

These things don't take much material and they go together really fast!! Season is in so I will let you know if the calls do what they should.
creighta
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 3:23:55 PM

Update: Two calls made last week and two turkeys called in over the weekend, thanks for the help all.

NEXT QUESTION: How should these be finished, or should they be finished?
Jeffseiver
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:02:04 AM

This may sound odd but where can a California boy get plans for a turkey caller? Although I have plenty of turkeys in my classes the only real wild life we see are great white sharks at the beach. Jeffseiver@aol.com
Ed D
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:04:57 AM

I'll do my best to anser your questions.
Creighta-We did not put any finish on most as the one we took the measurements from was made for resale and had no finish on it. I put a little linseed oil on two I made for myself and have not had any problems with it.
Jeffseiver-A fellow teacher (turkey hunter) let us use one of his and we took the dimensions from that. I have seen them on the internet but can't say exactly where. I've seen them at big box stores for under $20.00.
jcurse8
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:25:11 AM

I know you guys posted this thread last year, but did anyone actually come across plans for a turkey call? I have a couple of my own box calls that I could copy from, but I was just wondering if there is any more detailed information anywhere.

Thanks, Curse

j.curcio@yahoo.com
Ed D
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:09:22 AM

I started the tread. I did not have a set of plans. I copied an existing call. I have had several avid hunters say mine sound better than a store bought one. I thinf if you have one to model after you will be better off than plans. Good luck and have fun.
Ed D
jcurse8
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:43:05 AM

Creighta, You are the man! Thanks so much for the plans. That is just I was looking for. I mostly was hoping to find the angles and a few other details. I am obviously aware that I can make them to different dimensions to acheive different sounds, but I was looking for a couple of details that you were able to give me.

Thanks, Curse!
jcurse8
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:36:47 AM

Ok, so I have it down to a science of how I am going to build these Box Calls. But, I have another question for those of you who have already made them. I only personally have one box call, and it is all made out of cherry. One of my students brought in another one today, and the body is made out of sassafras, but the paddle is made out of willow. He claims that the lighter, softer wood produces a better sound. What do you guys think?

Thanks, Curse
Ed D
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:58:07 AM

I was told a little differant vareation. A mid density for the box and a harder wood for the paddle. I used mohagany for the box and birtch for the paddle. I do not know if the wood realy makes a differance but as I stated before mine sound very good.
creighta
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:12:45 PM

We have always used a hard wood like cherry or poplar (not real hard) for the box and a piece of leftover maple flooring for the paddle.

I would be leary of sasafrass bc it has a loose grain that could break easily.

The real trick is to sand the box edges to 400grt or finer and sand the lid acros the grain w/ 80grt to scuff it up before chalking it.

we also wrap MIG wire around a philips screwdriver to make the spring for the paddle.