Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Nick Names Options
mrb1977
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:20:10 PM
Groups: Member

I am just curious, how many of you let your students call you a nickname or a shortened version of your last name? I have found that kids like referring to me as Mr.B. I am fine with it, some people may argue the respect factor, but I will try to gain the kids respect on the first day of school.
Jeffseiver
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:29:47 PM

My kids call me Seiver. I have always been called that since I was a kid. I don't mind but other teachers seem to think it is to informal. But it is better than you SOB.
Giz
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 12:24:39 AM

My kids either use my last name only....or include "Mr." in front of it.

Either's fine.....

I DO bristle at the very infrequent use of my first name.....or..."Hey Dude"....

Either of those will get 'em smacked (verbally).
RoyBoom
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 9:09:39 AM

For 23 years I've just been Boom. I'm in a small town and when my wife and I got married about 5 years ago she couldn't figure out what was going on when we'd be walking or in the store and she'd hear kids hollering out "hey Boom". She's adjusted, when we got a new mailbox she just put Boom on it. When I hear someone say Mr. Boomershine I usually assume they are talking about my dad, he was the shop teacher before me.
Ward
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:38:23 AM

I insist on Mr. Ward. I do not answer to anything else. In my classroom I teach everything. That includes; math, science, english, current affairs, and common courtesy. I model these things by always refering to other instructors as Miss, Mrs. or Mr. I also often address the students as Miss or Sir. Call me "old school" or blame it on my military back ground. The disappearance of social graces can be blamed on the lack of usage. Respect me, respect the equipment.
BO'Brien
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:00:25 AM

I have to also add that many of my students refer to me with a nick name. It is either "O - B" or "Obe's". Neither is ever given or taken in a disrespectful manner. I think in our school at least, you can see a level of comfort with the staff who have a nick name compared to many of those who don't. Sometimes it is just the name itself. Some names lend themselves easier than others to be replaced with an abbreviated version. It's actually funny how the new grade 9's are much more formal, but they adapt as they watch the seniors interact over time.
Joe Barry
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:40:47 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I always told the kids that there are only 5 letters in my name, so, please use them. I also told them that I was Mr. Barry until they graduated and then as a tax-paying adult they could call me anything they wanted!
mikeb
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:10:57 PM

My students call me Mr. B. most of the time but a few call me Mr. Berndt which can be a tricky name to pronounce.
Matt Higgins
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 4:13:49 PM

My Student will call me Mr. Higgins, Higgins, Coach, Coach H. The name s that I do not allow is DUDE, Teacher, Mr. Dude, anything of the such. I feel this is up to the individual instructor, and what they feel comfortable with.
Rick Gordon
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 10:40:56 AM

Mine call me Mr. Gordon or Mr.G...I address them by their first names, and occasionally by Mr. or Miss. Most teachers call each other Miss, Ms. or Mrs. or Mr. and shake hands when greeting, especially when in the presence of students. Many students get a handshake, knuckles or a high five when greeting.I do hear many more yessirs and nosirs here than at other schools where I have taught.
creighta
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:56:38 PM

I am pretty terrible at remembering kids names, so to make it fair I call them you, or whatever else comes to mind and in return I answer to almost anything that is school appropriate.

For the record, though I usually only get called by my last name or w/ the typical Mr.
Keith Schadler
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 8:31:05 AM

I was actually marked down on my evaluation because I allowed students to call me by my last name only. Students would leave off the Mr., and the High School Principal made note of this. When evaluation time rolled around, this was one thing he noted. I figured he was just digging to find something to mark me down on. From then on, I require students to address me with the Mr. and allow the principal to dig a little deeper for problems...