Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

High School Curriculum Options
gregpauls
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 11:10:06 PM
Groups: Member

I am new to teaching woodworking and am searching out suppliers for curriculum. I have beginners only it would have to be pretty basic entry level stuff. It would like it to include day plans, projects as well as tests. Any suggestions?
Mike Walsh
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 10:46:34 AM

There are several university affiliated educational research centers that publish curriculum guides. Two that stand out in Industrial Ed / TechEd are the Instructional Materials Laboratory, Columbia MO http://iml.missouri.edu and the Oklahoma CIMC, Stillwater OK www.okcimc.com. Both have good guides but sometimes the guides can get a little old. Also, for a topic like woodworking you need to check the intended grade level and "area" for the guide. Picking up a guide keyed to the Adult Ed / Agricultural Education / Woodworking standards may not do you any good.

The major textbook companies make every effort ensure that their texts conform to the many state curriculum standards developed by CA, FL, GA, TX... (called State Adoption Standards) These tend to be fairly uniform, grade specific and authoritative. Publishers supply the state adoption committee with a document - loosely called "correlations". This tells you item by item if the text covers the material called for in the state standards. Some states post the correlations on line, some have a place you can order them - and some of the strictly vocational publishers may make them available to you (for a nominal fee).

Many state DOE's or your states teacher ed university maintain a curriculum library which will house these guides. This may be a lending library, a catalog, an "approved list" or just a room where you have to sort through piles of old guides -- but check with your state VocEd Supervisor to see if there is a place you can contact to borrow or review these materials.
creighta
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:06:38 AM

Post your email and several of us can send you some stuff.

I hated most of the curriculums that I could find when I started so I wrote my own very short text book for each tool. I keep it in a binder and run copies each year to give to my students. This is nice because you can update it as tools or times change, or as you find things you forgot.
gregpauls
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:51:11 PM

I have been in touch with a couple of text publishers - haven't found anything that I think will suit yet. I look forward to whatever you guys can pass my way. Thanks so much.

email me at gdpauls@telus.net
Jeffseiver
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 1:43:02 PM

Send me your Mailing address and I will send you one of my project plan packets along with a board and caddd drafting set of lesson plans. all are suitable for beginners. if you are teaching high school I will send you an outline that starts with freshmen beginners and progresses them to jorneyman carpenters. 11th and 12th grade construction classes. I'll take your e-mail for communication purposes but I like to mail the bulk packets.
tsmith
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:18:39 PM

I just started teaching tech-ed also this year and would love any resources

email is tsmith@cs.dal.ca
Jeffseiver
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:03:50 AM

T smith and gdpauls follow up and send me your mailing addresses. Your e-mail addresses were sent back to me with my reply to both of you. I don't know why. Jeffseiver@aol.com or post them here I will check back at the end of the day.
gheuer
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 10:49:17 AM

I hope I'm not repeating what other have said, but WoodLINKS is a great place to start. Here are the two URLS, one for Canada and one for the USA

http://www.woodlinks.com/m07about.html

http://www.woodlinksusa.org/

Greg Heuer, CSI
Architectural Woodwork Institute
Woodwork Career Alliance
Skill Standards web site:
http://www.woodworkcareer.org
Skill Standards collaboration site:
http://skillstandards.wikispaces.com/
Jeffseiver
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:27:25 PM

I went to that wood links web site and the $5,000.00 cost of joining the organization to get some help is a little steep. Not to mention that it is out of character with this forums policies of sharing resources freely.
mfeuerborn
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 10:09:14 AM

We currently are using the Goodheart-Willcox Modern Woodworking text and student work books for the classroom instruction on safety, tools, joinery, finishing etc... We start our students out with a number of simple projects like a large cutting board with a handle. This project introduces them to the use of the table saw, planer, jointer, band saw (using templates/patterns), biscuit cutter, clamps, router, glue, drill press, sanders etc....

tman67
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 2:54:41 AM

Hello I read the topic.
If anyone would send me curriculum ideas, it would be appreciated.

terrybriley@hotmail.com
Dan Coleman
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:53:21 PM

Mike, I'm glad you mentioned the Missouri publications. I have been away from teaching for about 25 years, but for the 10+ years I taught in Missouri I was active with state curriculum revisions for a few years. My college professors had participated in writing some of the guides. I participated in a complete re-writing of the metalworking guide. Hopefully they have been systematicly updated.

Dan Coleman
St. Louis, MO
Retired Quality Inspector, CWI and IA Teacher
"Still a teacher at heart"
J.marquart
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:27:00 PM

Jeff:
I'm always looking for new Things to teach my students.
Would you please include me in on your mailing list.
The board drafting and lesson plans would be good. Also the freshman to jorneyman carpentry. I teach 9th thru 12th grade carpentry classes.
You can reach me at marquart@strato.net or
Sebring High School 3514 Kenilworth blvd.
Sebring Florida 33870

Joe Marquart
beastwoods
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:07:31 AM

I have been working on creating beginning cad and drafting curriculum also. I would also be interested in checking out any of the other materials you have to email or mail either one. You can never have too many ideas or different methods. Thanks in advance.

Nick Hinz
1401 High School Dr.
Bellevue, NE 68005

or

nicholashinz@hotmail.com
Jeffseiver
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:28:52 PM

E-mails are no good for me. I need your actual mailing address's. Street number state and zip codes. I don't know is it me or can't anybody read anymore. Briley's packet went out today. You other guy's have got to read the directions and follow through.
J.marquart
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 6:35:23 AM

Jeff:
My mailing address is in my post.
Here it is agin,

Joe Marquart
@ Sebring High School
3514 Kenilworth Blvd.
Sebring Florida 33870
beastwoods
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 10:50:38 AM

Jeff my information is also in my reply

Once again:

Nick Hinz
1401 High School Drive
Bellevue, NE 68005
lesmik01
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 7:13:35 PM

Hey everybody. I'm new to this forum and and have a question about becoming a high school wood shop teacher. Currently, I am a Chief in the Navy with 14 years in and when I get out, I want to be a shop teacher. I have a BS in Adult and Career Education, but am unsure if there are any specific requirements that I must meet to break into this field. Are there any certifications that I must have to qualify? I would appreciate any help that you could give me.

Mike Adams
Briman2021
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:57:34 PM

I am also a brand new technology education teacher, more emphasis in the computer side of things, but I would like to broaden my horizons a little bit.

If anyone has any resources they could share with me I would greatly appreciate it.

Take out the spaces to get y email address.

BKemmy @ comcast.net

Jeffseiver wrote:
E-mails are no good for me. I need your actual mailing address's. Street number state and zip codes. I don't know is it me or can't anybody read anymore. Briley's packet went out today. You other guy's have got to read the directions and follow through.

If the offer is open to anyone, could you send a packet my way?

Brian Kemmy
1305 Olive Ln N apt 224
Plymouth, MN

Thanks in advance everybody!
hughes27
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:12:12 PM

Jeffseiver wrote:
Send me your Mailing address and I will send you one of my project plan packets along with a board and caddd drafting set of lesson plans. all are suitable for beginners. if you are teaching high school I will send you an outline that starts with freshmen beginners and progresses them to jorneyman carpenters. 11th and 12th grade construction classes. I'll take your e-mail for communication purposes but I like to mail the bulk packets.

I am also a new middle/ high school tech ed teacher. Could I also get some material? I have little background in woodworking and will be teaching Wood and Carpentry.

Dusty Hughes
Culver Community High School
700 Schools Street
Culver, IN 46511

Thank you.