Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

How do I become a Woodworking teacher? Options
Gunner93
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:14:20 PM
Groups: Member

Hello all,
My name is Travis and I am very interested in what kind of credentials, experience, education, etc. that I would need to get to become a woodshop teacher. I have recently refound my love of woodworking and would like to pass that on in a few years. I say few years because I am currently in the military and won't be able to do it until I get out. I do however have the time to pursue my education to get any degree I may need. I will most likely be interested in the Virginia area, but any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jeffseiver
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:59:35 PM

Gunner, You will need to apply and get accepted at a Regionally accredited college or university. That's important because most school districts don't recognize a degree from just an accredited college. Then you will need to find out if that university has an Industrial Technology Degree. Then you will need to complete all basic required classes then complete all upper division required classes and then complete the ITE required classes. There is a military to teachng program that you could look into and i thinkl that it lets you begin teaching with a temporary credential till you finish the university program. You might be able to apply for an adult credential throught the state Designated subjects credential program. But you will have to check that out for the state that you are trying to teach at. You should have a great deal of patience and a strong constitution because teaching wood working at a public school is very nerv racking and difficult. Good luck. jeff
BRYAN CONKLIN
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:31:51 AM

Gunner,
If I was just starting out and already in the military I would go a different route of public school versus staying in the Military.
In different branches they actually have woodworking schools for the enlisted guys in the maint. shops.
Having been in the military and having grown up in a military background teaching public school is extremely difficult. The kids today don't really believe in taking responsibility for thier actions and parents just gun for you all of the time. Is it Rewarding, yes it is, but you have to weigh the balance as each person is different.
The other bonus of finding one of those military spots is that you are working with mostly young adults and they may be more interested as well. Plus, you don't have to go through all of the college stuff and state certifications, but then again you may be one of those people that love spending your nights at a local college taking classes. I know I hate it.
I would check with you station base your at now and see if they have anything like that and speak with the head of it on how to get assigned to it for your next MOS. Just another perspective on being able to teach woodworking.
tman67
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:49:00 AM

First you need to check out the states requirements, each state is different.
http://www.ctc.ca.gov/
Call them and ask questions.

Your military career counts as college hours.

There are other ways into teaching.

First vocational programs have different guidelines in my state.
(Some states no degree needed only life experience)
Second MO offers alternative certification.
Third get a degree in some other field and transfer into woodworking.
(MO you need to pass a PRAXIS for Industrial Technology)
Fourth you might have to check into teaching Agriculture Science.
Fifth get certified in another state and transfer in by taking a test.

Again all states have their own guidelines.
Call someone, start with the local college and work your way up.

Hope this helps...
salthunter
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 12:56:52 PM

The military and industrial routes in most states eventually (3-5 years)require you to earn a degreee ( NCLB).
Contact a college that has a teacher education program, and contact your states certification department.
Completing the proper programs can make certification much easier and quicker.
Gene Luby
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:43:56 AM

Travis,like said every state has there own requirments,here in New Jersey,besides our public schools we have county vocational schools.My first teaching position was part-time.I taught a adult evening Construction Tech class.I felt it was a good test to see if teaching was for me.I had to apply for a part-time teaching certificate through the state,requirements were to show my years of experience ,recommendations and reference's,etc.I taught there for two years,it was a great experience for me.This led into another part-time teaching position & so on.I figured it worked for me,15 yr's later now I am teaching Construction Tech/woodshop for my local HS.This is my tenth full year teaching.Gene
MrsN
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 1:15:46 PM

I got a BS in Technology Education from UW-Stout. It got me a teaching license for technology education in WI. I got my licensed transfered to MN and it became Industrial Technology. If you go a route like that you will have the opertunity of teaching a wide range of classes that may or may not include woodworking. Where I am teaching I have "fundamentals of wood" (basically woodshop 1) and middle school classes(lots of stuff, a little woodworking). The other teacher in my district teaches photography, drafting, welding, construction tech, cabniet making, and power tech.
When I was looking for a job, I interviewed for several positions. Some were more traditional "shop" settings and others were the newer ideas with classes like pre-enginering design, digital electronics & 3d design drafting.
While I was in school, a proffessor once told me that there were few woodshops left and those that were would be gone in 10 years. I am only in my second year, and anything could happen, but my school likes its woodshop program. So he might have been wrong.
If you might have an interest in teaching some of the other stuff along with woodworking, I would encorage you to look in to Technology Education in the area you want to work. Find a school that has a program and ask the teacher how they got where they are. I only can speak for my area of the midwest.
However, if you only want to teach woodworking please ignore my off topic post.
creighta
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:10:07 PM

I would have to agree that if you intend to pursue a career in teaching, you should try to get certified in more areas than just industrial technoloy. If you are going back to school try to pick up two certifications while you are there.

As far as my experience with your initilal question, I have a degree in manufacturing and robotics. I decided to become a shop teacvher when my old highschool called and asked me to come back and get certified.

In Ohio we have an "alternative educator" license that allowed me to begin teaching while taking evening classes. After 12 sem. hrs and a couple of Praxis tests I had my license.
JWOOD
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:04:25 PM

Gentlemen,

I am a full time Middle School Woodshop Teacher in Long Beach, CA. I also teach cabinet making part time at Cerritos College in Norwalk. If you are interested in becoming a Woodworking Teacher there is a program called CTE Teacher TRAC. This program is focussed on recruiting teachers for Woodworking, Welding, and Automotive. Gunner, if you plan on staying in Southern CA for a while it is worth contacting them. They can evaluate your transcripts, any practical experience that may apply, and set up a plan for you to become a teacher. I am only familiar with the program at Cerritos College, but it is quite possible that there is a program in your area.

http://www.teachertrac.com/CTE/CTE_Webpage.html

CanKuhn
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 5:41:46 PM

I just got this email from Virgil Seaman, Chair, Department of Technology, CSULA (Cal State Los Angeles)

Attend a campus-wide open house called EAGLE FEST on Saturday, November, 15th from 10:00am to 2:00pm.

We are recruiting students to enter our new B.S. Industrial Technology program with two tracks, one for preparing Technology Education Teachers and those who want to go into Industry.

Here are some links to flyers for this event.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7831065/New-Itec-Bs-Flowchart

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7831125/Csula-Eaglefest-Flyer-Itec-Bs

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7831140/CSUMentor-ITECBS-Freshman

Our district closed down a woodshop this year due to not being able to find any one to teach it. So my guess there are jobs out there for you.
Mike Walsh
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 4:50:15 PM

You will have to dig into this site - but this is the association of colleges that train teachers. Its main benefit to you is you should be able to locate a school close to where you want to settle.

http://teched.vt.edu/ctte/CTTEMain.html

There can be several routes to certification. Usually you can save a lot of time by talking now to a HR director or Superintendent in the state you want to settle in. Each state offers a lot of alternative routes to the classroom and often the Universities or the State DOE are the last to tell you of the easy, fast or cheapest.