Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Teaching Drafting to Middle School Students Options
mrb1977
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:30:57 PM
Groups: Member

Ok guys, I am attempting to teach my 7th graders some introduction to drafting and design. I have a couple of classes that can't even grasp the meaning of why they would have to learn basic drafting fundamentals before creating a floor plan, and elevation plan. A couple of students asked me today, "why don't I just give them a copy of the different lines, symbols, doors, and windows?" Gotta love NCLB. I am getting my last observation of the year done this week, I have differentiated (or should I say Dumb it Down)(which is the buzz word in my district) multiple times for the students. Does anyone teach this unit to 7th graders? If so, do you have any tips or strategies for me? Thanks.
Mr.B
Jeffseiver
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 9:45:00 PM

yes, I teach this exact program to 7th graders. I have a full 9 week basic board drafting unit with lesson plans and all the how to's. You can see what I am doing with my kids each year if you visit my school web site. balljh@auhsd.us click on staff, then on seiver , then on pod casts. If you think you would like to try it I will send you a complete set of instructions all I need is your school mailing address I will include my 9 week basic woodworking program too. With lesson plans for each project.
you will need to make or buy 18x24 drafting boards, t-squares and one 30/60 degree triangle for as many kids as you have per class and you will need to cut 3/8" scaled lumber from 2x4 df. Itcosts me approx. $4.00 per class of 40 kids per day.
mrb1977
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 6:27:56 AM

Jeff, I tried to email you but it was returned.
Thanks,
Mr.B
Jeffseiver
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 9:32:47 PM

Try, jeffseiver@aol.com
Mike Walsh
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 1:38:18 PM

I have run into a number of guys who teach this as a mini-blueprint reading unit as opposed to drafting. They treat line value, dimensions, views, ... They develop some simple work sheets from a basic drafting text, use some shop project plans as examples...

Then kids can jump into reading the plans for their own project. After a bit you can teach "sketching" skills. This seems to work pretty well with the short class periods, short attention spans of middle school.