Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Carving Options
Shinnlinger
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:46:58 AM
Groups: Member

Hello,

I am looking for some pointers for relief carvings.

First, what species of wood are best for carving? I have been using pine and quaking aspen and it seems ok. I have some butternut to try next and can get basswood but do I really want to go that soft? What else can I do with basswood if this carving thing doesn’t pan out?

I purchased a few sets of the Swiss made tools and they are nice and I seem to be able to keep them pretty sharp pretty quickly with a felt wheel with rouge on it but perhaps there are better options?

How do you transfer the paper line drawings to the wood? I started with spray adhesive but I ran out, it’s stinky. Makes a mess and leaves a film. We went to wood glue but that leaves a film as well. Currently we are scribbling with pencil all over the back of the paper and then doing a firm trace of the front to transfer the graphite and this method to shows promise.

We have had success with the shadow lines, but does anyone burn parts of their carvings for added emphasis? Dark tung oil seems to have a decent effect also.

Dave
MrsN
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:39:39 PM
Groups: Member

I do chip carving in my down time, not with school. I use basswood all the time, I love it.
as for transferring patterns, I use carbon paper or transfer paper. which is fairly similar to scribbling with a pencil first. I learned to carve from some really nice old guys in a coffee shop and they told me it was the best way to get a pattern onto wood.