Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Robotics anyone? Options
Dansilvernail
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 12:48:50 PM
Groups: Member

Do any of you teach robotics or operate a robotics club? How difficult is it to learn? It seems to me that it's very complicated, that you'd have to have a good grasp of a lot of different areas such as programming, electronics, hydraulics and mechanics to start.

Out here in the Pac NW, robotics seems to be all the rage. Almost all of the jobs that I interviewed for last year (except for the one that I got) either required that I teach robotics or would be willing to expand into it.

WoodTeacher
Posted: Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:35:13 AM

Yes we have a robotics club at our school -- go to First Robotics as to what they offer for competitions

Willywonka321
Posted: Sunday, April 9, 2017 1:50:39 PM

It's great program from What I can tell. I am not the coach though I have been asked multiple times. It is a massive time commitment. 7 days a week in the shop and late nights after school for 5-7 weeks. I recall my shop teachers doing if for a few years and they never left the building. Another major complaint is that the dad's/Parents (who are engineers) of competing schools design & build the whole thing and then let their kids run it.

FIRST Robotics is placed in the year in a bad spot. It completely overlaps with Science Olympiad. I am a co-coach Science Olympiad, which does have its own building events and have heard many of the coaches say if we keep up like this we wont have a team when referring to the number of students there were loosing to robotics. My two cents.

"M.I.T.E.S. Works for All kids" http://on.fb.me/14918EO
Michigan Industrial & Technology Education Society (M.I.T.E.S.) Member Since 2009
Industrial Education Instructor since 2012
ericstorm
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:03:00 PM

Robotics doesn't have to mean FIRST Robotics... This is what most people are familiar with.

Anytime you have students operate CNC machinery, that is robotics. Anytime you have students use a computer to control anything, that is robotics. If you have ever operated a remote control car, that is robotics. Unfortunately the idea that robotics has to be a competition has narrowed the public view of what robotics in education looks like.

It's simple to incorporate such activities into woodshop curriculum, and it should be incorporated in to woodshop curriculum.
tbockman
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:35:27 PM

I agree with what Eric is saying. I believe my students are learning some of the same skills using a laser engraver or another CNC as a student who is doing robotics.

Let's face it, technology is changing the way we do everything! Some people forget that the simplest machines are also technology. At one point in time, it was revolutionary technology to have a sharpened rock.