Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Grading Rubric/Description Options
johnm
Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 5:12:31 PM
Groups: Member

Folks -

I am looking for a descriptive grading rubric for my classes. My advanced students are all on independent projects and getting and keeping them motivated has been an issue. Fighting their use of electronic devices is beyond an uphill battle. They try to be sneaky with them, but if I went ahead and continued to take them away, I'd never get any shop time for them in. I want to teach woodworking, not babysit or be a smartphone cop.

If any of you could send me your rubrics or anything in support of clearly lining out expectations, I'd appreciate it. I need to change my approach for the second semester as my current strategy is wanting.

My email address, should you choose to email me an attachment is
jmoorhead@lakeport.K12.ca.NODAMNSPAM.us with the obvious change.

Thanks so much!

John
MrsN
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 4:09:05 PM

It depends on the situation, but for the most part I gave up fighting the cell phone battle. I am a lot happier and I really think there are fewer phones out during my class. I do make them put them away for any class lectures/notes/safety demonstrations. There are times when kids are on their phones instead of working on a project in the shop, but usually that is a sign they need help figuring something out.
tbockman
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 9:05:38 AM

Some school climates create an up hill battle for shop teachers. Some schools get worse over a short period of time. It can be as simple as the school boards choosing to bring in an outsider to stir things up. You can say whatever you want, your program can go topsy-turvy over night. View this perfect example! In 35 years as a vocational teacher I've experienced it first hand and who knows, may experience it again. If there is one thing I've learned, there is never only one way to deal with any issue. I can think of several ways I might try to deal with cell phones if it were ever to become a problem for me, and a rubric doesn't necessarily have to be one of them. Perhaps a student/parent/teacher contract about the proper shop environment, given out during the first week of school, and maybe a phone call or e-mail home once and a while to update a parent. They can't work in shop without it being signed and turned back in. Every issue you have ever had to deal with or expect in the future can be in that contract, along with consequences if you like. Mine is mostly based on safety, but cell phone distractions can be considered a safety issue too. In all those years I have had only one parent tell me it wasn't my job to control her son. Shes right, it was hers and she wasn't doing it!

Woodshop Contract

This compliments and in fact was built around the Franklin Phonetic School rules.

1. I pledge to remember to never enter the woodshop if a teacher isn’t present.

2. I will come into the woodshop calmly, with a positive attitude, and ready to learn.

3. I will patiently listen and look at the teacher during all safety instructions because I want to learn how machines and equipment are safely managed.

4. I will never run, act reckless, engage in horseplay in the shop, or leave the shop without permission.

5. I will show respect to the teacher, all fellow students and school property (includes textbooks, tools & equipment).

6. I will be prepared to wear eye protection, closed shoes, avoid loose clothing, tucked in shirts, and tie back long hair, whenever I am working in the woodshop.

7. I will follow all rules and regulations pertaining to the school (such as no use of cell phones in the building), classroom and shop safety, and will not play around with equipment or machines.

8. I will keep watch over the safety of others and help them to also work in a safe manner.

9. I will watch demonstrations, listen as new information is given and follow all directions carefully.

10. I will only use machines and equipment that I have been trained to use on my project.

11. When in doubt, or if I have any safety concerns, I will not proceed without first asking for the teacher’s assistance, remembering that the teacher is there to help me.

12. I will report to the teacher all unsafe acts, practices (including bullying), or conditions that might endanger anyone.

13. I will do my best to insure I work in a safe manner and will report all injuries immediately, no matter how slight.

14. I will use supplies wisely, and as I get out any materials or equipment, I will be the one responsible to put it back where it belongs and to clean up after myself.

15. I will keep my workstation clean and orderly at all times.

16. I will promote cooperation from everyone for proper safety and good housekeeping.

17. I will stay on task all period, then do my housekeeping duties promptly at the end of each class and will not leave the classroom until dismissed be the teacher.

18. I will remember that accidents don’t just happen, they are caused.

19. I will do everything in my power to conduct myself properly and safely in the woodshop and maintain a healthy respect for the damage that misuse of machines and equipment can do.

20. I agree that if I cannot maturely abide by these rules that I may be removed from the woodshop class.

__________________________ __________________________
(Student signature)
(Date)

______________________________ __________________________
(Parent signature)
(e-mail address)

Please return this form promptly as delay may impede class progress.

Student/Parent Contract

It's a good starting point.... I'd like to know... what would you add?
Ed D
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 4:31:02 PM

My sincere apologies to anyone I have offended. That was not my intent. This is very good. Out of admiration, respect, and professional courtesy I ask,May I have your permission to add it too the shop syllabus we have our students and parents sign? Not to replace my current class rubric , but to add to it.
Ed D
tbockman
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 8:10:53 AM

This has always been a site where we can share ideas and help each other. You are most certainly welcome to use whatever you like from my material. I have a ton of stuff that I have given out that has been beneficial to many teachers and I have uploaded the WORD document of this contract if that helps, but you can easily copy and paste any part of it right from here too. I firmly believe in setting the proper tone for the school year. I would be curious to see other teachers ideas on this topic. It could help your colleagues all across the country, especially during trying times like these where programs are being dismantled at an alarming rate. Would you be willing to post your current syllabus/rubric? It might be the key for some teachers success.

If you need help with this,
e-mail woodshopteacher@cableNOSPAMone.net
Remove the obvious spam blocker.
I can give you a snail mail address to send it to and then I can simply scan it for upload or will put it into a sharable WORD document and then upload it.
Ed D
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 9:17:28 AM

As soon as I can I will try (technology is not my strength). It will be after the 1st of the year. I was sick (not absent), had lunch duty, and hall duty, all last week. I had 20 min a day to eat lunch and try to take care of all my other responsibilities (unsuccessfully). I need next week (two days) to catch up then I am on vacation.

Thank you for your professionalism. Very often I fall short of your example and am not afraid to admit when I am wrong. If I do not acknowledge my own shortcomings, I will not improve. I am a vocational instructor and do my best to train young adults to be successfully employed. I believe roll modeling is huge. My response in this matter was not very good. That is why I apologized. Your response was excellent. Thank you again for setting a good example.
Ed D
tbockman
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 12:08:24 PM

Anyone who would like this, it is a WORD document of the student/parent contract. It's the back of my permission form and this one has been changed to reflect Franklin Phonetic School. If you have my curriculum on flash drive, you already have an older version of this.

For those who might not have seen a true example of a rubric... Rubric 29, or at least it's what one looks like around here. These directly relate to our Arizona state standards. Even though these are for woodworking, you can see I had to go through 29 of them before I found a good woodworking example. Others deal with all kinds of topics like communication, math, measurement, etc.... If you want them all, let me know, they are easy to upload for sharing. On my curriculum flash drive, it's located in the Curriculum Map Folder. Rubrics are a base used for grading student achievement and could easily be tweaked for behavioral issues, but they seem to be a little too much paperwork to me.
Ed D
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:14:42 PM

Sorry this took so long. I've been swamped. I need to make some adjustments but here is next years syllabus as it now stands.

Lower Pioneer Valley Career and Technical Education Center
CARPENTRY 1 SYLLABUS
2015-16
Requirements for ALL Carpentry Students:

1. Preparation for class

Students are expected to come to class each and every day of the school year prepared for the workday. Students that do not come to class prepared will not earn being prepared points for the day

This includes the following items:
Before entering the related theory room, students should change into their shop attire as soon as they come in unless otherwise specified.

Related Theory Classroom

A pen or pencil (pencil prepared for shop area/pen for writing assignments) will be used every day in the classroom for Type 1-3 writing assignments, vocabulary words, daily worksheets, quizzes, test, etc. Students are responsible of keeping track of all locks, projects, and writing implements issued to them at the beginning of the year. If a student loses a lock issued to him/her they are required to pay a $5.00 charge at the end of the year.

SHOP

Shop Clothing

Suitable work clothes must be worn – Long pants, Shirts with sleeves, no holes or ripped clothing, no baggy clothing of any kind; pants must be worn at waste level; no loose jewelry; no neck wear to be worn; shirts must be tucked in. These few rules are strictly enforced for the student’s safety.

Footwear

Footwear required for this program should be sturdy leather boots or shoes. Steel toes are optional. No sneakers, sandals, shoes with nylon or inappropriate footwear will be allowed in the carpentry shop. Students are not allowed in the shop without proper footwear.

Safety Glasses

Safety glasses will be provided to all students. Glasses must be worn over the eyes at all times while in the carpentry shop area when using stationary and hand-held power tools and also when nailing and scraping glue. Prescription glasses must have approved safety lenses. The students must provide documentation on their glasses having safety lenses. Students must inform instructors if they wear contacts lenses also.

Students will not be allowed into the carpentry shop without wearing safety glasses, and will be removed from the program if they have to be repeatedly reminded to wear their safety glasses. This is a state law and will be enforced to the fullest.

Students not prepared for shop will be given a zero (0) for their grade on their weekly grade sheet, and will NOT be allowed to do make-up work for an unprepared day. Unprepared students will also be sent to the office with discipline referral notice. Repeat discipline referrals can result in the student’s removal from the program.
2. Weekly grading is based on the following:
1. Attendance
2. Being prepared
3. Related theory class work
4. Technical knowledge
5. Use of time
6. Following instruction
7. Attitude and cooperation
8. Following safety rules & regulations
Please note: Poor attendance will definitely affect the weekly and term grade severely; lessons missed in related, demonstrations and instruction in the shop area, cannot be made up. If a test is given when a student is absent, it may be made up upon the student’s request with note within a one week period upon return.

3. Notebooks

Notebooks are provided for all students in the carpentry program. They should contain vocabulary words, daily worksheets, and any handouts given to the students in the class. On various quizzes and tests, students will be allowed to use their notebooks. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain their notebooks and bring these notebooks to class. A well-kept notebook will add points to the marking period grade. Notebooks will be graded by giving a test grade correlating with the marking quarter. Quarter 1= 1 test grade, quarter 2 = 1 test grade. Quarter 3 = 1 test grade, and quarter 4 = 1 test grade.

4. Midterm and Final Exams

Both midterm and final exams will be given and dates will be posted in the classroom, as well as, announced to the students well in advance of the exams.

5. Shop/Projects – (Are assigned and based on the proper use of safety practices.)

One day exploratory shop project; Hat rack

3 week exploratory shop projects; Frabistat, Step stool,

1st Year Students— First project: Two step stool
Second project: Saw Horse (hand tools)
Third project: Round folding table
Forth project: Framing project
Fifth project: Nantucket bench

2nd Year Students--- First Project: Cutting board (hand saw)
Second project: Clean up and repair unfinished projects
Third project: Box joint tissue box
Forth project: Framing project (Scaled model)
Fifth project: Tool box
Sixth project: Picnic Table

. These projects are required so the student will develop the skills required to operate our trade tools, hand-held and stationary power tools safely. Also learn the listing of materials used and reading blueprints. These projects usually are completed by December. January begins a framing project where teams are formed and students learn about residential framing, terminology, etc. The last project (Nantucket bench, Picnic table) will be counted as a final exam.
Contacting the teacher

If you would like to meet with me (Mr. Dolhenty) anytime during the school year I am available on Mondays between 2:15 to 3:15 PM. If this is not convenient please contact me to make other arrangements. You can call LPVEC (413)-735-6300 ext. 1110 or e-mail me at edolhenty@lpvec.org. This time can also be used for any makeup work needed to be done.

(Please return the following part with signatures to your carpentry instructors.)
I have read all the following information and understand that as a carpentry student I am responsible for all the information and requirements contained herein.

Student’s Signature Parent/Guardian Signature

Lower Pioneer Valley Career and Technical Education Enter
ATTENDANCE POLICY FOR THE CARENTRY PROGRAM

Due to the nature of the carpentry programs academic and hands-on teaching method, it is very important that students come to class everyday. We prepare our students for the daily rigors of the workforce. The program is emulated as a true working environment, which requires their students (employees) to have a good attendance record, strong work ethic and the ability to be accountable for their own actions.

An absence is defined as: Not being present in class.

Reasons for bring absent from class:

Documented absence

1. Sick. This requires a note from parent/guardian or doctor. In this case missed work is allowed. It is the student’s responsibility to request work from their instructor at the end of class. This assignment is to be done at home and turned in within two days. A grade will then be given for the day of absence, not to exceed an 80%. If make-up work is not done, a zero (0) will be given for the daily grade of the absence.
2. School sponsored event. Must be approved in advance, and missed work is required in order to receive credit for the day missed.
3. No school at student’s home school. No make-up work is required.

UN-documented absence

1. Any absence with no excuse and not accompanied by a note from parent/ guardian or doctor. This also includes truancy (skipping class). The student will receive a zero (0) for the daily grade, and no make-up work is allowed.

The Lower Pioneer Valley Center and Technical Education Center does not give the student their credits, their home school does. Each student must be aware of their home school attendance policy and should not exceed the number of the days that their home school allows per quarter, semester or year before they lose credit.

I have read all the following information and understand that as a carpentry student I am responsible for all the information and requirements contained herein.

Student’s Signature Parent/Guardian Signature

Carpentry Shop
Clothing Requirements
(for safety)
And we follow school policy
On top of this

The student needs to have
1. Work boots
2. Long pants
3. Shirt with sleeves (short sleeves are allowed)
4. Safety glasses (SVAHS supplies 1 par each year)
No tinted glasses

The students are not allowed to have
1. Shorts
2. Exposed midriff
3. Shoulder straps (must be sleeves)
4. Ripped clothing
5. Baggy clothing
6. Inappropriate logo’s(alcohol, drugs, sexual)
7. Loose jewelry
8. Sunglasses

Student signature___________________________________

Parent/Guardian signature___________________________

Date _____/_____/_____

LPVEC Carpentry Contract

This compliments and in fact was built around the LPVEC School rules.

1. I pledge to remember to never enter the carpentry shop if a teacher isn’t present.

2. I will come into the carpentry shop calmly, with a positive attitude, and ready to learn.

3. I will patiently listen and look at the teacher during all safety instructions because I want to learn how machines and equipment are safely managed.

4. I will never run, act reckless, engage in horseplay in the shop, or leave the shop without permission.

5. I will show respect to the teacher, all fellow students and school property (includes textbooks, tools & equipment).

6. I will be prepared to wear eye protection, closed shoes, avoid loose clothing, tucked in shirts, and tie back long hair, whenever I am working in the woodshop.

7. I will follow all rules and regulations pertaining to the school (such as no use of cell phones in the building), classroom and shop safety, and will not play around with equipment or machines.

8. I will keep watch over the safety of others and help them to also work in a safe manner.

9. I will watch demonstrations, listen as new information is given and follow all directions carefully.

10. I will only use machines and equipment that I have been trained to use on my project.

11. When in doubt, or if I have any safety concerns, I will not proceed without first asking for the teacher’s assistance, remembering that the teacher is there to help me.

12. I will report to the teacher all unsafe acts, practices (including bullying), or conditions that might endanger anyone.

13. I will do my best to insure I work in a safe manner and will report all injuries immediately, no matter how slight.

14. I will use supplies wisely, and as I get out any materials or equipment, I will be the one responsible to put it back where it belongs and to clean up after myself.

15. I will keep my workstation clean and orderly at all times.

16. I will promote cooperation from everyone for proper safety and good housekeeping.

17. I will stay on task all period, then do my housekeeping duties promptly at the end of each class and will not leave the classroom or shop until dismissed be the teacher.

18. I will remember that accidents don’t just happen, they are caused.

19. I will do everything in my power to conduct myself properly and safely in the carpentry shop and maintain a healthy respect for the damage that misuse of machines and equipment can do.

20. I agree that if I cannot maturely abide by these rules that I may be removed from the carpentry shop class.

______________________________ ________/__________/________
(Student signature) (Date)

______________________________ ______________________________
(Parent signature) (e-mail address)

Please return this form promptly as delay may impede class progress.

CARPENTRY

The Carpentry program is a chapter 74 approved course of study offering a comprehensive competency based curriculum in the building trades industry. First year students focus in the classroom and shop on developing basic carpentry-related skills. Students begin by mastering basic carpentry competencies such as ruler reading, workplace safety, and operation of both hand and power tools. Building site preparation follows, including transit set up, calculating grade elevations, properly situating the building and the construction of batter boards. Students will advance through the curriculum learning modular layout techniques for residential concrete installation and wood framing. Hands-on practice is combined with related written and computational skills development such as, but not limited to, cost estimating, blue print reading and materials take-off calculation. Students combine this curriculum with manipulative skills development associated with shop tools through a series of on-campus projects such as personal tool boxes, sawhorses, etc.

Second year students have the opportunity to study one of the following:
Off-campus projects: these projects range form partial or whole buildings to small renovations such as porches. This exposes students to all aspects of the building industry including compliance with building codes, city ordinances, OSHA regulations, scheduling with other sub-contractors and meeting deadlines, and contact with building inspectors.

Architectural Woodworking: students will follow a course of study that incorporates the standards of the Architectural Woodworking Institute (A.W.I.) as it relates to the commercial side of interior finish work. Related theory and hands-on training will expose students in areas of wood types, laminating, veneers, casework (cabinets), stair parts, molding and many other areas of millwork.

Students completing the Carpentry programs have the option of securing gainful employment, continuing formal studies at the post-secondary level, or pursuing a combination of both.

Articulation Agreement and Tech Prep Advantages
The Carpentry Program has an articulation agreement with Holyoke Community Collage.

Through this articulation agreement, registered Tech Prep students have the opportunity to earn college credit in Introduction to Building Materials (TCH120) - 3 CREDITS.

Post-Secondary Programs Attended By Recent Graduates
American International College
Holyoke Community College
Mount Wachusett Community College
University of Massachusetts
Vermont Technical College
Wentworth Institute of Technology
Worcester Technical Institute College

tbockman thank you for the contract. As you see I am going to use it.

Students emulate what they see.
I will never cave, I will only try harder.

Ed D

tbockman
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:29:50 AM

I like it and know this will help other teachers too. I'm on the opposite side of the country. Our political climate is unfriendly to education in general and building trades specifically. My long time cabinetmaking program was suddenly replaced with residential construction and then promptly dropped the following year. I had a great construction program started and still, the shop was completely shut down and cleared out... everything sent away. The following year local building rebounding and all the newspaper can talk about is the labor shortage. It bothered me for a while and then I found a great place to work, complete with challenges that keep it interesting. I found a place to fall in love with teaching all over again. It's good to see programs thriving in other places with a little more foresight and gives me some great ideas. It also reminds me that whether 4th grade or 10th grade, students are about the same everywhere.

I noticed a couple of typos... so be sure to have someone you trust proofread your material before you give it out, unless you typed this directly in and it wasn't a copy and paste. I always find a friendly English teacher helps if you do need a proofreader.

These are just a small glimpse of what I had been preparing for my first year construction classes. I made them to mirror what I had been working on for cabinetmaking. Can you use things like this....?
History of framing
Feet inches conversion
Square a foundation
Joist and header deflection
Proportion problems

woodshopteacher@cableNOSPAMone.net Remove the obvious.